By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 17:16:00 01/20/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--Four suspected illegal fishing vessels were caught by marine law enforcers off Donsol, Sorsogon Monday afternoon, the Philippine Coast Guard revealed Tuesday.
Lieutenant Commander Joey Velarde, the PCG-Bicol chief of staff, said the vessels identified as Conqueror, Mama Susan, St. James, and Red Fox were seen using "super lights."
The "super lights" method is considered illegal in the country. It uses 1,000-kilowatt powered bright lights to attract schools of fish to the detriment of marginalized fishermen.
He said a team composed of members of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources and the PCG caught the vessels near Burias Island, Masbate or 1.5 nautical miles off the Donsol coast.
Velarde said the vessels and their passengers were still being investigated.
Illegal fishing is a violation of Section 93 of Republic Act 8550, the law on the development, management and conservation of the fisheries and aquatic resources.
Section 93 provides that the use of super lights is not allowed within municipal waters and violators are meted prison terms from six months to two years or a fine of P5,000.
Donsol is a sanctuary of the world-famous "butanding" that has gained reputation as the whale shark capital of the world and was hailed by Time Magazine as the "best animal encounter in Asia."
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
NDF: Hold Balikatan in flooded provinces
By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 14:58:00 01/16/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--The communist-led National Democratic Front (NDF) in Bicol challenged the Philippine Army to hold the 2009 RP-US Balikatan exercises in provinces recently hit by flashfloods if their aim is purely humanitarian.
"Why is the 2009 Balikatan centered on Albay, Sorsogon, and Masbate, when these provinces have not really been hard hit by heavy rains, floods, and landslides unlike Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, or some areas in Mindanao?" Greg Bañares, NDF-Bicol spokesman, said in a statement released Friday.
"This only shows that the aim of US forces visiting Bicol is military in nature and not just humanitarian," Bañares said.
Over the week, storm surges and landslides triggered by heavy rains across the country have killed at least nine people and displaced nearly 200,000, according to disaster officials.
The tail-end of a cold front sweeping through the country's eastern seaboard has been bringing heavy rains across 11 provinces from northern Luzon to the eastern sections of the Visayas and Mindanao since last week.
Bañares claimed the aim of the joint military exercises to be held in April is to familiarize US forces with guerrilla conditions in the insurgency-torn Bicol region.
"May lumang kasabihan na, 'Mag-ingat sa mga Griyego na may dala-dalang regalo.'" [There is an old saying, ‘Beware of Greeks bearing gifts’],” he said.
Bishop Lucilo Quiambao of the Legazpi Diocese, in a local television news interview, warned the government not to allow US forces to get involved in armed battles and to protect civilians who might be caught in the crossfire.
He also warned that prostitution might worsen with the presence of the American troops, endangering people's morality, especially the youth.
The militant Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan, New Patriotic Alliance) welcomed Quiambao's opposition to the 2009 Balikatan.
"Even the good bishop does not believe that the US troops will only be engaged in humanitarian missions because in every Balikatan exercise, war games and even actual combat operations are part of the package," said Tessa Lopez, Bayan-Bicol spokesperson.
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 14:58:00 01/16/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--The communist-led National Democratic Front (NDF) in Bicol challenged the Philippine Army to hold the 2009 RP-US Balikatan exercises in provinces recently hit by flashfloods if their aim is purely humanitarian.
"Why is the 2009 Balikatan centered on Albay, Sorsogon, and Masbate, when these provinces have not really been hard hit by heavy rains, floods, and landslides unlike Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, or some areas in Mindanao?" Greg Bañares, NDF-Bicol spokesman, said in a statement released Friday.
"This only shows that the aim of US forces visiting Bicol is military in nature and not just humanitarian," Bañares said.
Over the week, storm surges and landslides triggered by heavy rains across the country have killed at least nine people and displaced nearly 200,000, according to disaster officials.
The tail-end of a cold front sweeping through the country's eastern seaboard has been bringing heavy rains across 11 provinces from northern Luzon to the eastern sections of the Visayas and Mindanao since last week.
Bañares claimed the aim of the joint military exercises to be held in April is to familiarize US forces with guerrilla conditions in the insurgency-torn Bicol region.
"May lumang kasabihan na, 'Mag-ingat sa mga Griyego na may dala-dalang regalo.'" [There is an old saying, ‘Beware of Greeks bearing gifts’],” he said.
Bishop Lucilo Quiambao of the Legazpi Diocese, in a local television news interview, warned the government not to allow US forces to get involved in armed battles and to protect civilians who might be caught in the crossfire.
He also warned that prostitution might worsen with the presence of the American troops, endangering people's morality, especially the youth.
The militant Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan, New Patriotic Alliance) welcomed Quiambao's opposition to the 2009 Balikatan.
"Even the good bishop does not believe that the US troops will only be engaged in humanitarian missions because in every Balikatan exercise, war games and even actual combat operations are part of the package," said Tessa Lopez, Bayan-Bicol spokesperson.
Chiz raises fear on ‘hidden agenda’in Bicol war games
LEGAZPI CITY—Opposition Sen. Francis “Chiz” Escudero said he remained wary of other items in the agenda that may be concealed from the public about the 2009 Balikatan Exercises, which will be staged in three Bicol provinces in April.
The 2009 Balikatan is a joint Filipino-American military exercise, which Philippine Army officials said would focus on medical missions and engineering works in the provinces of Albay, Masbate and Sorsogon.
However, recognizing that the humanitarian missions will benefit the people, Escudero urged caution on the part of the government to make sure the RP-US military exercises will not leave any Filipino disadvantaged.
“Our government better make sure that this exercise will adhere to the terms it has been devoted to and not use it as front for other endeavors that may antagonize and stir indifference from various sectors,” said Escudero, who hails from Sorsogon, one of the planned sites of the Balikatan.
Escudero expressed fear that the Balikatan would be used to allow US forces to interfere with the Philippine government’s war on communist rebels in the Bicol region.
“The Balikatan should avoid, at all cost, any intervention that may straddle in our internal affairs,” he said in a statement. “Any outside force touching it (insurgency fight) meddles with our sovereignty.”
The Communist Party of the Philippines Sunday ordered its armed wing, the New People’s Army, to increase tactical offensives against government targets to protest the Balikatan.
A rally was set on Jan. 22 to protest the planned holding of the Balikatan in Bicol, said Tessa Lopez, spokesperson of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (New Patriotic Alliance) in Bicol.
“The past years the Balikatan had been in Mindanao, now, since Bicol is still considered a hotspot of communist insurgency, it is here,” Lopez said.Ephraim Aguilar, Inquirer Southern Luzon
The 2009 Balikatan is a joint Filipino-American military exercise, which Philippine Army officials said would focus on medical missions and engineering works in the provinces of Albay, Masbate and Sorsogon.
However, recognizing that the humanitarian missions will benefit the people, Escudero urged caution on the part of the government to make sure the RP-US military exercises will not leave any Filipino disadvantaged.
“Our government better make sure that this exercise will adhere to the terms it has been devoted to and not use it as front for other endeavors that may antagonize and stir indifference from various sectors,” said Escudero, who hails from Sorsogon, one of the planned sites of the Balikatan.
Escudero expressed fear that the Balikatan would be used to allow US forces to interfere with the Philippine government’s war on communist rebels in the Bicol region.
“The Balikatan should avoid, at all cost, any intervention that may straddle in our internal affairs,” he said in a statement. “Any outside force touching it (insurgency fight) meddles with our sovereignty.”
The Communist Party of the Philippines Sunday ordered its armed wing, the New People’s Army, to increase tactical offensives against government targets to protest the Balikatan.
A rally was set on Jan. 22 to protest the planned holding of the Balikatan in Bicol, said Tessa Lopez, spokesperson of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (New Patriotic Alliance) in Bicol.
“The past years the Balikatan had been in Mindanao, now, since Bicol is still considered a hotspot of communist insurgency, it is here,” Lopez said.Ephraim Aguilar, Inquirer Southern Luzon
17 rescued off Masbate
By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 13:43:00 01/16/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY -- Fishermen rescued 17 people from a motorized boat forced to seek shelter from huge waves churned up by strong winds, the Philippine Coast Guard reported Friday.
The M/B Noynoy, bound for Pilar, Sorsogon from Masbate City had to take shelter near San Miguel Island at around 2 p.m. Thursday, said Police Officer 2 Glicerio Villaluz of the PCG in Bicol.
Fishermen within the vicinity rescued the passengers and took them to Guinhadap village in Monreal, Masbate, where they could wait safely until the waves subside.
Sea travel has been intermittently cancelled in Bicol, stranding more than 2,500 passengers in various ports since Wednesday.
Corazon Samar, chief meteorologist of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said the strong winds were caused by the northeast monsoon, which is hitting the country's eastern seaboard until end of February.
She said the winds in Southern Luzon were as strong as 30 kilometers per hour.
Waves could be as high as 3.7 meters to 6 meters.
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 13:43:00 01/16/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY -- Fishermen rescued 17 people from a motorized boat forced to seek shelter from huge waves churned up by strong winds, the Philippine Coast Guard reported Friday.
The M/B Noynoy, bound for Pilar, Sorsogon from Masbate City had to take shelter near San Miguel Island at around 2 p.m. Thursday, said Police Officer 2 Glicerio Villaluz of the PCG in Bicol.
Fishermen within the vicinity rescued the passengers and took them to Guinhadap village in Monreal, Masbate, where they could wait safely until the waves subside.
Sea travel has been intermittently cancelled in Bicol, stranding more than 2,500 passengers in various ports since Wednesday.
Corazon Samar, chief meteorologist of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said the strong winds were caused by the northeast monsoon, which is hitting the country's eastern seaboard until end of February.
She said the winds in Southern Luzon were as strong as 30 kilometers per hour.
Waves could be as high as 3.7 meters to 6 meters.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
5,000 passengers stranded in Bicol ports
By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 13:07:00 01/14/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY – At least 4,932 passengers were stranded in four Bicol ports as of 11 a.m. Wednesday due to big waves caused by the northeast monsoon, the Philippine Coast Guard reported.
Also stranded in the ports of Matnog, Tabaco, Virac, and Legazpi City were 316 cars, 112 trucks, 75 buses, and six sea vessels, said Ensign Jeffrey Collado, PCG-Bicol operations assistant.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) detected no tropical depression but only the surge of the northeast monsoon affecting the seaboards of Luzon, Visayas, and Eastern Mindanao.
Corazon Samar, chief meteorologist of PAGASA-Legazpi, said seas in the southern and western seaboards of Southern Luzon, have been described as "rough" to "very rough."
She said the waves in this area have been as high as 3.7 meters to up to six meters.
In Legazpi City, Samar said wind gusts have been measured at 15 meters per second or 30 knots with a velocity of 55 kilometers per hour to 73 kph.
Samar said winds have been stronger and waves bigger in open seas or seas facing directly the Pacific Ocean like the Albay Gulf.
The northeast monsoon will last until February or early March, according to Samar. PAGASA expects a transition to the southwest monsoon after that. The southwest monsoon will affect the other side of the country or the western seaboard.
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 13:07:00 01/14/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY – At least 4,932 passengers were stranded in four Bicol ports as of 11 a.m. Wednesday due to big waves caused by the northeast monsoon, the Philippine Coast Guard reported.
Also stranded in the ports of Matnog, Tabaco, Virac, and Legazpi City were 316 cars, 112 trucks, 75 buses, and six sea vessels, said Ensign Jeffrey Collado, PCG-Bicol operations assistant.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) detected no tropical depression but only the surge of the northeast monsoon affecting the seaboards of Luzon, Visayas, and Eastern Mindanao.
Corazon Samar, chief meteorologist of PAGASA-Legazpi, said seas in the southern and western seaboards of Southern Luzon, have been described as "rough" to "very rough."
She said the waves in this area have been as high as 3.7 meters to up to six meters.
In Legazpi City, Samar said wind gusts have been measured at 15 meters per second or 30 knots with a velocity of 55 kilometers per hour to 73 kph.
Samar said winds have been stronger and waves bigger in open seas or seas facing directly the Pacific Ocean like the Albay Gulf.
The northeast monsoon will last until February or early March, according to Samar. PAGASA expects a transition to the southwest monsoon after that. The southwest monsoon will affect the other side of the country or the western seaboard.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Ex-militiaman slain by rebels in Albay
By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 18:44:00 01/13/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--Suspected communist rebels shot dead a newly-retired member of the Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU) inside his residence Monday afternoon in Tabaco City, police said Tuesday.
Jose Basilan Sr., 59, was shot in the neck and right shoulder, said investigator Police Officer 3 Joel Subeldia.
Quoting the victim’s wife, Subeldia said Basilan was playing cards in Bantayan village when three gunmen barged in and shot him.
Recovered from the crime scene were a slug and empty .45 caliber shells.
On Sunday, the Communist Party of the Philippines ordered its armed wing, the New People's Army (NPA), to launch increased tactical offensives against state security forces in protest of the 2009 Balikatan, a joint Filipino-American military exercises to be held in three Bicol provinces in April.
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 18:44:00 01/13/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--Suspected communist rebels shot dead a newly-retired member of the Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU) inside his residence Monday afternoon in Tabaco City, police said Tuesday.
Jose Basilan Sr., 59, was shot in the neck and right shoulder, said investigator Police Officer 3 Joel Subeldia.
Quoting the victim’s wife, Subeldia said Basilan was playing cards in Bantayan village when three gunmen barged in and shot him.
Recovered from the crime scene were a slug and empty .45 caliber shells.
On Sunday, the Communist Party of the Philippines ordered its armed wing, the New People's Army (NPA), to launch increased tactical offensives against state security forces in protest of the 2009 Balikatan, a joint Filipino-American military exercises to be held in three Bicol provinces in April.
Labels:
crime and violence,
INQUIRER.net,
news
Boy drowns in Catanduanes flood
By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 16:24:00 01/13/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--A five-year-old boy drowned in the rising floods in Catanduanes brought by the week-long rains in the island province, according to reports reaching the Office of Civil Defense in Bicol on Tuesday morning.
Raffy Alejandro, Bicol civil defense director, identified the boy as John Mark Tatad of Gigmoto town.
Families affected by the landslides and floods have reached 14,643 or 74,701 persons in 162 villages. Some 217 houses have been reported damaged.
The Catanduanes Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council is still distributing relief goods in the form of rice noodles and canned goods to victims in the towns of Bagamanoc, Baras, Bato, San Miguel, and Viga.
The relief assistance amounted to P432,000, Alejandro said.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development also delivered 100 food packs and clothing.
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 16:24:00 01/13/2009
INQUIRER.net
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines--A five-year-old boy drowned in the rising floods in Catanduanes brought by the week-long rains in the island province, according to reports reaching the Office of Civil Defense in Bicol on Tuesday morning.
Raffy Alejandro, Bicol civil defense director, identified the boy as John Mark Tatad of Gigmoto town.
Families affected by the landslides and floods have reached 14,643 or 74,701 persons in 162 villages. Some 217 houses have been reported damaged.
The Catanduanes Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council is still distributing relief goods in the form of rice noodles and canned goods to victims in the towns of Bagamanoc, Baras, Bato, San Miguel, and Viga.
The relief assistance amounted to P432,000, Alejandro said.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development also delivered 100 food packs and clothing.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)