Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Despondent man kills 3-month-old son in Legazpi City

By Ephraim Aguilar
Southern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 14:36:00 07/28/2008
Read from INQUIRER website.

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines -- Fed up with his sister’s needling about his inability to care for his three-month-old son, a resident of Barangay (village) San Roque in this city stabbed the infant dead Sunday afternoon.

"I regret what I did. I'm ready to face any punishment because he is my son," the suspect, who is detained at the Legazpi police station said.

The father admitted he was drunk and “lost control myself” because of his sister’s constant complaints about taking care of the baby.

"My sister would always complain about taking care of my son. We would always fight. I lost control of myself," he said.

The suspect said his wife died giving birth to the baby boy in May but he could not take care of the child because of his work as a construction worker.

The suspect’s sister said the baby was stabbed once in the chest.

The infant was rushed to the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital but died there.

The sister’s 13-year-old daughter, who witnessed the stabbing, said in her swron statement that she was watching the baby when her uncle told her to leave the room.

"I went out of the room but peeped though the door and I saw my uncle pull out a knife from his waist and stab [the baby] on his chest. He pulled out
the knife and I saw it soaked in blood," the witness said.

No comments: